Is becoming a Secondary Montessori teacher the best choice for you?
Teaching in a Montessori secondary school requires a particular developmental understanding of and willingness to guide and serve the adolescent.
Adults who work in a Montessori secondary school may lead camping trips and outdoor field studies, guide self-reflection activities, and be willing and able to model cooperation, curiosity and love of learning, deferred gratification, and patience of all sorts.
- To qualify for admission to CMStep, applicants must have earned a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree; must submit a signed Adult Learner Agreement; and must submit a signed Administrator/Practicum Site Agreement.
- Transfers from other Montessori secondary training programs are not usually considered. However, individual situations may be discussed with the director. An exception may be granted if agreed to by the directors of both programs.
For more information, download the STUDENT POLICY HANDBOOK from the ‘Download’ tab.
To assist in the process of applying to CMStep, the following checklist is provided:
- Download (from the ‘Download’ tab) and complete the APPLICATION.
- Download (from the ‘Download’ tab), read, and complete the ADULT LEARNER AGREEMENT.
- Download (from the ‘Download’ tab) the ADMINISTRATOR/PRACTICUM SITE AGREEMENT. Share this with your administrator and secure his/her signature.
- Secure an official copy of your most recent college transcript.
- Ask two colleagues to write professional letters of recommendation for you.
- Type and print a personal statement that demonstrates your intention and commitment to becoming a Montessori secondary teacher – no more than 350 words.
- Send a check or money order for the $800.00 non-refundable application fee plus the $8,000.00 program and materials fee. This is due in full ($8,800.00) before the course cycle begins in June unless other arrangements have been made at the time the application is submitted.
- No tuition refunds are given once summer classes begin.
Mail the application and all the documents by May 15 to:CMStep Admissions PO Box 17152 Richmond, VA 23226
Preparation for the Academic Phase
Purchase, read, annotate and bring with you to Cincinnati:
- The Way of Mindful Education by Daniel Rechtschaffen
- Maria Montessori: A Biography by Rita Kramer
- Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain by Dan Siegel
- Teaching With Love and Logic by Jim Fay
Download, read, annotate, and bring with you to Cincinnati the following articles from the ‘Articles and Videos’ tab:
- “Community and Engagement”
- “Listening Project”
- “Thanks But… What School Raters Don’t Get”
- “The Way We Gather”
- “The Work of Education”
- “Valorization of the Personality”
- “Where is Everybody”
- “Widening the Circle”
Watch each of the short videos from the ‘Articles and Videos’ tab.
Complete the “Overview” course. Note: This is an on-line course and can be completed at the adult learner’s convenience. It is recommended, though not required, that this course be completed before the first summer. Adult learners are welcome to begin the “Overview” as soon as application materials have been received.