Is becoming a Secondary Montessori teacher the best choice for you?
Teaching in a Montessori secondary school requires a particular developmental understanding of and willingness to guide and serve the adolescent.
Adults who work in a Montessori secondary school may lead camping trips and outdoor field studies, guide self-reflection activities, and be willing and able to model cooperation, curiosity and love of learning, deferred gratification, and patience of all sorts.
- To qualify for admission to CMStep, applicants must have earned a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and must submit all portions of the application, including the non-refundable $800 deposit.
- Transfers from other Montessori secondary training programs are not usually considered. However, individual situations may be discussed with the director, including applicants who have completed the NAMTA Orientation to Adolescent Studies who are now seeking an AMS Secondary I-II credential.
Applicants are expected to download and read the STUDENT POLICY HANDBOOK before applying.
To assist in the process of applying to CMStep, the following checklist is provided:
- Complete the online APPLICATION and PERSONAL STATEMENT
- Download the following two forms:
- Secure an OFFICIAL copy of your most recent college transcript (paper is better than electronic, if you have the option.)
- Ask two colleagues to write professional letters of recommendation for you. (These can come with your other application documents or they can be mailed separately.)
- Create a current resume with qualifying details and submit with other mailed paperwork.
- Send a check or money order for the $800.00 non-refundable application fee, plus the $8,000.00 program and materials fee. This is due in full ($8,800.00) before the course cycle begins in June unless other arrangements have been made at the time the application is submitted. Please note that no tuition refunds are given once summer classes begin, except as outlined in the handbook.
Mail application documents to:
PO Box 17152
Richmond, VA 23226
If applying after June 1, please call to verify that space is still available.
Preparation for the Academic Phase
- Purchase, read, annotate and bring with you to Cincinnati:
- The Way of Mindful Educationby Daniel Rechtschaffen
- Maria Montessori: A Biography by Rita Kramer
- Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brainby Dan Siegel
- Teaching With Love and Logic by Jim Fay
- Download, read, annotate, and bring with you to Cincinnati the following articles from the ‘Articles and Videos’ tab:
- “Community and Engagement”
- “Listening Project”
- “Clark Montessori: Preparing Students for Life After High School”
- “The Way We Gather”
- “Lasting Peace- The Work of Education”
- “Valorization of the Personality”
- “Where is Everybody”
- “Widening the Circle”
- “What’s the Difference”
- Watch each of the short videos from the ‘Articles and Videos’ tab.
- Complete the online “Overview” course.
Note: This is an on-line course and can be completed at the adult learner’s convenience. It is recommended, though not required, that this course be completed before the first summer. Adult learners will receive information to begin the “Overview” course as soon as application materials have been received.