Position Title: Middle School Math Teacher (and Aquaculture Assistant!)
Middle School Math Teacher
Potential for additional hours in assisting aquaculture program.
Williamsburg Montessori School is an independent, coeducational school which provides authentic Montessori education to students between the ages of 18 months and 15 years. WMS is a full member of the American Montessori Society.
Our mission is to provide the adolescents of Hampton Roads with a holistic, student-centered learning environment governed by the educational philosophy of Maria Montessori. Through meaningful, engaging, and authentic work, our education is designed to foster our students’ social, physical, and emotional, and intellectual development and prepare them for success in high school, higher education, and life beyond formal school. We are committed to the development of each student’s personal identity that is integrated and embedded in self-worth.
● Implement age-appropriate curriculum for Math (Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Geometry, and/or Algebra II) classes using Montessori teaching philosophy and practice to include hands-on opportunities, field experiences, and opportunities for valorization of the adolescent.
● Provide 140 hours of instruction time for high school credit level courses and maintain pacing for all math courses.
● Collaborate with Science teacher on STEAM lab lessons and activities.
● Differentiate learning to accommodate a variety of learners.
● Assess student learning using a variety of tools in keeping with Montessori philosophy.
● Create written progress reports, attend twice yearly conferences.
● Demonstrate respect and kindness for the students.
● Collaborate with Middle School teaching team to integrate Math with other curriculum areas.
● Collaborate in the creation and presentation of peace education electives, advisory, Student-Led Conferences, Unity Trip and other adolescent program team-led activities.
● Consult with other classroom teachers when assigning due dates for work.
● Attend Middle School level meetings and participate in multi-disciplinary team meetings.
● Attend all staff meetings.
● Implement school policies for classroom and school behaviors for students.
● Maintain appropriate and professional parent communication.
● On days mutually acceptable to the School and to Teacher, participate in schoolwide events and parent education events.
● Prepare an environment that is orderly and neat that promotes optimal use of teaching time.
● Communicate with Middle School Director and administration regarding any needs or issues including material and curriculum needs.
● Contribute to a sense of community among students, faculty and staff.
● Coordinate opening and closing duties with Middle School Director.
● Participate in professional development opportunities and fulfill a minimum of 16 required hours.
Salary: experience and education dependent